The “Great War” Memorial and Garden of Remembrance in Hengate, Beverley were only possible by the generosity of Major Clive H. A. Wilson D.S.O. (born 12th June 1876 – died 18th January 1921)
born Clive Harry Adolphus Wilson in 1876 to Mary & Arthur Wilson (a co-owner and later chairman of the Thomas Wilson shipping company, which eventually became the famous Ellerman Wilson Line.) Clive became a director of Thomas Wilson shipping company, he also held directorships with two other companies. He married Elvira Magherini in 1907 and they had two children.
Clive Wilson served as a Lieutenant in the Boer War (1899-1902), with the 12th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry, then with General Hamilton’s staff, and finally with Rimington’s Guide . He was mentioned in dispatches twice and awarded the DSO, the King’s Medal with two clasps and the Queen’s Medal. He was injured during the Boer War, returning to England shortly before it’s end. (honorary freedom of the Borough of Beverley was conferred on Clive Wilson in recognition of his service in South Africa).
He married Elvira Magherini in 1907 and had two children.
On 29th December 1912 a terrible fire destroyed much of Clive and Elvira’s home on Hengate, it is the site of this ruined house that was later gifted to Beverley for use as a War Memorial Garden.
When the Great War began in 1914 he re-entered the Army and rose to the rank of Major.
He died in bed 18th January 1921, aged only 44 years.
The War Memorial was designed by local architect Richard Whiting (very local, he lived at no 7 Hengate, just four houses West of the Memorial Garden site.)